Home Dealers Calendar Articles Fine Art Database About AFA Login/Register
Home | Articles | N.C. Wyeth's Home Reopens

N.C. Wyeth’s Home Reopens
Tours available through Brandywine River
Museum, Chadds Ford, PA
April 1 – November 20, 2005
For information call 610.388.8326

In 1911, with the proceeds from his illustrations for Treasure Island, N. C. Wyeth purchased 18 acres on Rocky Hill in the village of Chadds Ford, where he built his home and studio. Wyeth lived there until his death in 1945. His wife continued to live in the house until 1973. The Brandywine River Museum now owns the house, studio, and thousands of items connected with the family. Now restored, the house and studio re-opens for tours this April.

Through May 8, visitors may also enjoy Over and Under: Reworked and Reused Paintings by N. C. Wyeth, which explores changes to works made by the artist and other hands. In addition, beginning April 1, historic Kuerner Farm—an inspiration to Andrew Wyeth for more than seventy years—is open for educational tours.

Home and studio of N. C. Wyeth, Chadds Ford, Pa.
N.C. Wyeth (1882-1945), Study for Wyeth Family Mural (ca. 1927), oil on canvas, 23 x 40 in. (58.4 x 101.5 cm). Permanent collection of the Brandywine River Museum, bequest of Carolyn Wyeth, 1996.

X-radiograph of Study for a Wyeth Family Mural (ca. 1927), showing figures from commission originally painted on canvas (photo by Alexis Miller, 1998, Winterthur/University of Delaware Program in Art Conservation).

Antiques and Fine Art is the leading site for antique collectors, designers, and enthusiasts of art and antiques. Featuring outstanding inventory for sale from top antiques & art dealers, educational articles on fine and decorative arts, and a calendar listing upcoming antiques shows and fairs.