Philadelphia, circa 1815-1825; Mahogany; ash, birch
This chair is from a set of twenty-four owned by President James Monroe. Six are in the collection of the Monroe home at Ashlawn/Highlands in Charlottesville, and two are in the collection of the James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library in Fredricksburg. They were used at his home, Oak Hill, outside Washington, D.C., and may have been used at the White House.
Antiques and Fine Art is the leading site for antique collectors, designers, and enthusiasts of art and antiques. Featuring outstanding inventory for sale from top antiques & art dealers, educational articles on fine and decorative arts, and a calendar listing upcoming antiques shows and fairs.