A Sinceny Faience Yellow Ground Basket.
The interior of the basket is painted in puce, green and yellow with a naturalistic loose bouquet of flowers with a fine black line in the manner of Strasbourg. The scalloped open sides with the applied blue flowerheads and rope handles terminating in leaves.
Sinceny The most important faience center of the North East of France was without doubt the one in the small village of Sinceny, in the Aisne department. In all but name Sinceny was a sister establishment to Rouen, and it rivaled the Normandy factory in the quality of its products. Indeed workers from Rouen first put Sinceny factory on its feet. Pierre Pelleve arrived in 1734, soon after it had been founded on his own lands by Jean-Baptiste Fayard, chatelain of Sinceny and governor of Chauny. Letters-Patent were granted on 15th February 1737, which gave official recognition to the establishment, and five weeks later, Pierre Pelleve became the director of the undertaking at "Sincheny." Pierre Pelleve sent for a team of workers from Rouen, among them them his own son, Dominique; Claude Borne; and two members of the chapelle family. (from French Faience -see below).
Provenance: Hans Stiebel, Nicollier, Paris, 1957.
Reference: French Faience by Jeanne Giacomotti, Assistant Curator at the Louvre Museum, Page 82 for discussion of Sinceny & page 91, #22 for illustration of basket identical to this one other than oval rather than circular shape.
Diameter: 11 1/2 inches (29.2 cm).