A Pair Of Tournai Faience Potpourri Urns With A Pug Dog.
The pair of potpourri urns is decorated with yellow pug dogs lazily sitting on a polychrome rockwork base. The white inverted double-gourd body is decorated with garlands of applied polychrome flowers and greenery that are flanked by handles in the form of goat heads. Delicately painted floral bouquets in the petit feu palette also decorate the body. Minor chipping to glaze and flowers; lids missing.
In 1751, Empress Maria-Theresa granted Francois-Joseph Peterinck of Tournai, "a monopoly on the manufacture of porcelain, English stoneware and Rouen blue for a period of 30 years." His factory enjoyed the title of Royal and Imperial Factory and had a massive tin-glazed earthenware production. Earthenware production was commercially profitable and remained vital to the company's survival, especially during its search for a porcelain paste. Earthenware represented a considerable part of Tournay's production and shows a heavy French influence. Formed pieces, such as vases, potpourris, dogs, statuettes and groups, demonstrate today the heights of irreproachable manufacturing Tournai attained. Peterinck rarely signed his earthenware pieces, which is why Tournai's production is easily mistaken for Saint-Amand's, Arras' or that of other neighboring factories.
References: For a similar pair of urns see: Pringiers, Baudhuin. Earthenware and Porcelain in Belgium: 1700-1881. Bruxelles: Editions Racine, 1999, p 159.