By: British Builder's Model
Scale: 1/8' = 1'
Case Size: 81'L x 36'H x 19'W
This Royal Mail Lines passenger steamer started her career as an auxiliary armed cruiser for the Royal Navy. She was built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, Ireland at their yard number 441 and launched on November 19th 1914. The naval ship was part of the 10th Cruiser Squadron and after four years was released from service in January 1919. The vessel was taken back to Harland & Wolff and refitted as a passenger ship per the original intention. From 1920 on she had the mail route between Southampton and La Plata. In 1939 she was altered to a troop transport ship and served through the war years till 1947, after which she was sold to the British Iron & Steel Corporation. She was broken up at Blyth. The ship had a registered tonnage of 16,034, and was 589' in length with a beam of 67.3'. She operated on a triple screw turbine system producing 14,000 IHP. The liner could accommodate 400 first class, 230 second class and 760 third class passengers.
The model is mounted in a solid mahogany framed & glazed case with square detailed corner posts, and is mounted to a inner raised plinth via four blackened metal turned pedestal supports.